Monday, February 13, 2012

Research, it's sort of like a side job

     So, this last week I found myself doing research on diesel engines and airships. My current work in progress, the first book out of the Providence series, involves both of these. Now, research on things like folklore and mythical creatures I've gotten down pretty decently as I've done a lot of it in the past just out of interest and for stories I've worked on or planned out. This was a first when it came to the diesel engine though, and I think I still have a little ways to go to solidify a good understanding. I understand the basics of the combustion engines, but since a character of mine is going to have to be working on the engine from time to time I figure I better build upon my knowledge of them.
     It got me thinking though on the terms of research for books. Some books I've found I don't have to do a ton of research for because I never approach a subject that I don't have a good grasp on, but most the time I'm looking things up. I've researched serial killers, demons, ghosts and those aforementioned mythical creatures. I've read up on the affects of hypothermia and how to treat it, and what sort of pain comes from having an eardrum blown out by percussion damage. I recently had a conversation with a friend about how if people were looking at my search history online or got a good look at books I'd bought or checked out from a library they'd think I'm a few cherries short of a fruitcake.
     However, I find I love the research part. Even the diesel engines, though if it goes past the fact that the car looks hot I only know minor things (though I can change a headlight or car battery, not to mention a tire). Luckily with the engines I do have two uncles that work on cars, so I'll probably end up picking their brains a little. It's interesting to look into how things function or the history behind some ritual or such. You open up a whole lot of options too with finding out these little facts and fables.
     Now when it comes to putting said research into a book, well, not all of it gets in. And, some of it gets fudged a little. Why? Well, I write fiction and sometimes when I need something to work a certain way I have to decide if it's okay to push the boundaries of what the facts are compared to what fits best. Also, if I were to go into the specific workings of every gadget or affects of an injury it'd come off like I'm lecturing on the subject. You have to find the balance where you aren't pushing things so far away from its source material that your reader is wondering if you looked into things at all to sticking hard to the facts even if it ruins an element you had planned for your story.
     Take my airship for example; it's going to be powered by a diesel engine with power cells for the electrical needs. The full inner workings will probably never be described, but it's what makes the ship go places so it needs to come off as a realistic setup for when it is mentioned. Is it going to work the exact way diesel engines do in real life? Probably not and I'll probably take a few liberties, but if I can get a good basic understanding of the sorts of problems that could arise and the basic functions within it than it will come off as much more believable in the end even if it's not strictly true to life.
     I feel like if you try to put a lot into your book you're more likely to get more out of it. And, though the internet is an amazing tool for the fast and easy sort of research, it is a wonderful option if you do have someone who's mind you can sit and dissect for the information. They'll be able to explain more clearly to you and more thoroughly as well. Not everyone has uncles who can take apart and put back together an engine though, and for those times I find it's best to hit the 'books' whether they be online or a physical manual of things.
     I do feel I have to make a point of saying, as it has happened to me before, that you should be careful not to get so caught up in your research you forget to write. You can do all the research in the world, but if you never get around to creating that story its for than it won't get you anywhere as far as your book goes. At some point you have to accept that you've done enough, set the notes next to the keyboard for reference (if you take notes) and get to work.
     All right, till next week then! Take care, my dears.

No comments:

Post a Comment